The day of the competition consume full meals ~every 3-4hours consisting of ~60% carbohydrate (rice, potatoes/yams, breads, fruits, etc.), 20% protein (lean meats/poultry), 20% fats (naturally occurring in meats and low fat sauces). The pre-event meal would be consumed 2-3hrs before the event (see below instructions if competition starts too early for you to digest a full meal) and consist of ~60-70% carbohydrate, 20% protein (very lean meats such as skinless chicken or turkey), 10-15% fat (most from the proteins - i.e. little none added).
Carbohydrates, for the pre-event meal only, should be mostly processed (e.g. white pasta, rice, skinless potatoes, very few to no fibrous vegetables, etc.) so not to slow digestion and comfortable allow absorption thus leaving the stomach almost empty and energy systems mostly full. Follow the pre-competition meal with a small CHO & protein snack/shake 30mins before the activity (and immediately after for faster recovery).
Below is the correct timing and supplement program elite athletes use:
Training meals and supplement timing instructions:
• Pre-training/event full food meal consumed ~2-3 hours before your major activity
– If your competition is first thing in the morning with no time for complete digestion of a full meal, use pre-workout formula only but eat a full meal (pre-event meal-type as mentioned above) right before bedtime the night before
• Pre-workout shake/bar: consume 10-40 min before activity
• Post- workout shake/bar (same formula as the pre): immediately after workout
• Post-training/event full food meal consumed ~1-2HRS post training
dotFIT Pre/Post Meal Replacement & Workout Formula
• Take 2 scoops 10-40 minutes before workout or use favorite dotFIT® bar for convenience
• Take 2 scoops (or dotFIT bar) immediately post workout