For the vast majority of athletic events (exceptions being ultra-endurance, where carbohydrate intake would be higher by percentage of total intake and fats lower) the pre-game meal would be consumed 2-3hrs before the event and consist of ~60% carbohydrate, 20% protein, 20% fat. Carbohydrates, for this meal only, should be processed (e.g. white pasta, rice, skinless potatoes, very few to no vegetables, etc. ) so as not to slow digestion. Follow this meal with a small CHO & protein snack/shake 30mins before and immediately after.
Below is the proper timing of food and supplement intake elite athletes follow. Additionally, using the dotFIT program, you can design your ideal sports nutrition plan including ideal athletic menus individualized for you with proper protein requirements, meal timing and complete food plans with the correct mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates. Simply fill in your personal statistics, set your weight goal and create your program. The program will automatically give you pre- and post-event eating plans including instructions.
Training meals and supplement timing instructions:
• Pre-training/event full food meal consumed ~2-3 hours before your major activity
– If you train first thing in the morning with no time for full meal, use pre-workout formula only
• Pre-workout shake/bar: consume 10-40 min before activity
• Post- workout shake/bar (same formula as the pre): immediately after workout
• Post-training/event full food meal consumed ~1-2HRS post training
dotFIT Pre/Post Meal Replacement & Workout Formula
• Take 2 scoops 10-40 minutes before workout or use favorite dotFIT® bar for convenience
• Take 2 scoops (or dotFIT bar) immediately post workout